Friday, March 01, 2013

9 days and counting...

I'm sitting here, in my parents' comfortable home in upstate NY - with heat, electricity, running water....and reflecting back on everything I've experienced so far up till this point in this crazy life, and wondering what the future will bring....

I finally packed up my life, and Murray (Bear is staying with my landlord in TN) in to a Dodge Caravan (2013, 3600 miles!) and drove out of the place I have known for the last 12 years....

Maybe there was a reason I never bought a house in TN. Maybe there's a reason I lived out in the country, for a few years in a small little house where the pipes would freeze, and winters were cold due to old heaters in the house. Maybe there's a reason I followed the singer/songwriter dream, learned all about internet marketing/promoting. Maybe there's a reason I worked at Vandy Sports Medicine. Maybe there's a reason for each one of my clients - and wow, did I learn sooooo much from each of them - from family and kids, to life, to God and religion, to photography, to music, to the world that is out there just waiting for me to find - we talked about everything! Maybe there's a reason I stopped pursuing music, became Lead LMT at Massage Envy. Maybe there's a reason I became a massage therapist, and learned, not only basic massage techniques, but also reflexology and energy healing. Maybe there's a reason that all of my finances worked out the way they did, finally allowing me this freedom to move about the world. Maybe there's a reason I have had one failing relationship after another, am still not married, and have no kids. There's got to be a reason. 

And what I'm learning in life, is that things truly work out the way they are supposed to. The more you try to force something to happen, the less likely it will. If it's meant to be, it will. There IS reason for everything.....

A week ago, I was so consumed with attempting to pack up my apartment, throw unneeded things away, sell my car, retire my massage license, suspend my phone service, see friends one last time (though I KNOW I'll be back - at least to visit Nashville), purchase things I may need in Africa, rent the Caravan....and finally packed it all up, that I didn't have time to think about Namibia and my new job. See, I'm a planner. Or at least I try! Leaving Nashville seemed to go very smoothly...so I'll take the credit of creating a smooth transition. But I can't plan this next step. I'm still not certain exactly what my job will be, what projects I will create, where I'll be living, what my living conditions will be like, where I'll travel....

And now I'm unemployed, carless, and living at my parents' house. Ha! Not exactly where I thought I would be at this time in my life. But again - there's a reason. Most people who join the PC do so right out of college, or once retired. People my age usually are in the middle of their careers and/or raising and taking care of a family. Not me. But I think this is actually the perfect time for someone to go on this adventure. I have gained life, love, people, and business experience. And this opportunity in the PC will give me so much more about the world, life, and people. I'll then be able to continue on with another job and my life, with even more experience under my belt!

But man, I'm sure going to miss hot showers! Ooh...and mexican food. And chocolate. And the gym. 

Ok...but besides all of that, I think I'm ready. Though, yesterday, I attempted to pack my things in to a big backpacking backpack and a duffle bag (with wheels - thank you Mom & Dad!) - about 2 1/2 feet long. Wow. I'm feeling overwhelmed. This really is happening. And I'm going to have to repack again and again, leaving some things behind, until I can fit it all in these bags - a total of 100lbs, 50lbs per bag. That'll be a workout right there - carrying around a 50lb backpack and pulling a bag. As for a guitar - I'm either going to buy one over there, or have my parents bring it when when visit this Christmas.

I had to take an online safety and security training class. Talk about reality. I know they have to warn us about things, and will be training us exactly how to keep ourselves safe, and at the end of the day, most PCVs have no major incidents. Usually it's just theft they deal with. But still. Kinda scary. Too bad I never took those self-defense classes. lol

And yet, I feel this overall sense of peace and calmness. Knowing I can't, and don't have to, plan this next step. I'm completely open to everything I'm about to witness and experience! I'm headed back to school...and bring it on!! I'm ready for a new way of thinking....and living....and how to really give back to people and the world.

I really don't know what my communication options will be once I get there. I do know that many PCVs use smartphones. I have an iPhone 5, which is available in Namibia. Which means I may be able to use that - and connect to the internet. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get my computer hooked up to the internet, though. The first 3 months will really be transition for me - 2 months of training - with my schedule pretty much dictated by the PC - and then during the first 6 weeks in my permanent site I'll be living with a host family. Soooo....after all of that, I'll get settled in my own place, get my own routine going, and will hopefully be able to communicate much more with all of you! But I promise, I will upload pictures and videos and stories as much as I can during this transitional time....

I've updated my Contact tab - with a little more info on how to get a hold of me....so check it out when you get a chance!

I'll probably post one more time before leaving America - which is Tuesday, March 12! Please, stay in touch and send me your addresses! I'll make sure to send out lots of postcards to all of you.... :)

In Peace & Love,
~Johanna


my backseat driver - keeping me company on the trip home to NY!


and here's some random info...
Since this post is titled "9 days", check out the band ninedays
I became friends with one of the guys while in Nashville, and they are getting ready to record a new album! 
It's been a while...and will be great to have them back!


You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

3 comments:

  1. Johanna, Thanks for this! It was so good to read about what you've been doing and what you are looking forward to. We are just so proud of you. And, we know how well you will represent the rest of us Americans. (You know...the ones of us at home taking the hot showers and having Mexican food!) I tell all my friends about my neice who is joining the Peace Corps. We can't wait to hear from you again; but we understand that communications may be limited. We love you lots.
    Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill!!! Thank you so much...I will try my best! I will definitely email you once I figure out the internet thing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete