Thursday, March 21, 2013

America to Africa...

Ok…..I know it's been a week since I have written….

We've been busy with training, and in transition from one lodging, to now, our first host family (post to come soon!). So, let me catch you up to date…(I have lots to tell, so it's going to take a few posts - but, I promise, I will get you all caught up to the present - where I am now living with my Meme (Mother) Maria, 2 9 yr-old sisters, 1 2 yr-old brother, and a cousin/nanny/housekeeper my age.) 

hot and sweaty after lugging my luggage
around the Philly airport
Last Tuesday, we all arrived, and met up at "Staging" (initial orientation) in Philadelphia. Final papers were signed and handed in (including our Trainee/Volunteer Registration form, designation of beneficiary, bank info for our pay AFTER our service, and eligibility verification), visas and passports were handed out, and our first day of orientation began! Everything went smoothly…we each had a roommate in the hotel, the other volunteers were great (18 others - 3 retirees, the rest between 22-26) and the staff really helped make this endeavor real for all of us!

After staging, we were able to enjoy our night out with new friends, have dinner and drinks, and discuss our excitement, dream-like state feeling, and of course, our excessive luggage. Side note, I really did pack a lot - as did everyone else - so at least I wasn't alone! BUT in my defense, the Peace Corps gave us a pretty big list of things we should bring :)

me and Denise waiting at 2am
for our bus to JFK
Anyway, we finished dinner around 10pm. And had to be down in the lobby to meet the bus for the airport at 2AM. My roommate, Kaitlynn, and I wanted to re-pack our luggage (for the 273rd time!), so we figured we may be able to get about an hour nap in. As we finally got comfy in our beds, one of the other girls, Crystal, came in to hang out, and well, no sleep occurred. But we were all too excited to care…..So at 2am, the 19 of us gathered all of our luggage in the lobby of the hotel, and waited for the bus to arrive at 2:30. Once it arrived, and everything was loaded up, we drove about 2 hours to the JFK airport. I was too excited to sleep during the trip. Around 4:30am, we unloaded our luggage from the bus, dragged ourselves in to the airport, and found a spot to settle in. The South African Airlines check-in desk didn't open until 7:30….for our 11:15 flight.
Cherie and alllllll of our luggage!
Kaitlynn, Naroung and CJ



our resting spot before check-in at JFK


Some people slept, some of us found other things to occupy our time. I couldn't sleep. I was so tired, that I thought, "If I lay my head down on my luggage for just a second, I'll be out for 5 hours." So, I stayed up. We played some music, laughed, Bonnie played her ukelele, and stories of our lives we were leaving, and those we were hoping to create, began to unfold….(or it was the lack of sleep talking!).

We finally were able to check in - that took some time for all of us to get thru….and made our way to our gate…just to sit again for a few hours. At this point, I still refused to sleep….I was waiting for my 15 hour flight….

Once we boarded, and got comfortable, Kaitlynn (another volunteer) and I decided it was best if we waited for the first meal (they would be serving "dinner", a snack, and then "breakfast" once we were over Africa - along with drinks - which, if you've never flown internationally, are free). Kaitlynn and I had our airline food, which wasn't half bad, a drink, and then I was off to dreamland…finally after 32 hours of being awake!

Magen and CJ
The rest of the flight was up and down - still tired, my neck hurt, despite the travel neck pillow (I was REALLY missing Lisa, my chiropractor and the other massage therapists at this moment!), and at one point I felt sick to my stomach. Other than that - I was headed to Africa! Nothing would bring me down!!!! (On another side note - since I haven't talked much about my emotions during the course of this travel, I have to admit - when I said goodbye to my parents in Albany, the tears started to come. I didn't expect that. I mean, of course I'm going to miss them, but I didn't think I was the emotional, sappy type. Maybe I'm becoming that way….And then as I was waiting for my plane to take me to Philly, my eyes began to tear up again. I couldn't help but think - "Gosh, Johanna. Couldn't you have just moved to California?? Did you really have to go all the way to Africa??? And why are you putting off your life 2 more years??" (Life, as in marriage, kids, etc.). And now - here I am - about to leave everything that is familiar to me. Everything I'm used to. It was a moment of sadness, fear of the unknown, tears for those I'm leaving…but not regret. For some reason, I'm supposed to go to Africa. I truly believe that. I believe everything happens for a reason - and this is just the obvious next step for me. What will be next? I can only hope and pray that it will be something greater than I could ever have dreamed. And after the PC? Well, only time will tell…

and hopefully it will still be that amazing dream that is on its way…..

Stay tuned for more….. :)

Kelly ready for the 15 hour flight!




flying over Africa...



You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

1 comment:

  1. Yay Johanna! I am so proud of you!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete