Sunday, March 10, 2013

Here I go!!!

Well, this is it. I'm heading to Philly tomorrow morning for "Staging." The next day, we fly over the pond.



Wow. It's here. I'm excited, nervous, scared, thrilled, blessed, jumping-out-of-my-skin, and yet....at peace. (Corps, that is). Seriously, though, I guess I'm feeling pretty ready for this. It took 15 months, from the time I applied, to the time I'm leaving, for this to come to fruition. I'm ready to learn. Ready to help. Ready to grow. Ready to live another culture for a while. Ready to learn more about the world and it's people. Ready to become a better person. Ready to share my knowledge - and hopefully make, even a small, little, impact.

Ok - after saying that - I'm actually exhausted. I think I've thought everything through a million times. I've packed and repacked hundreds of times. I hardly got any sleep last night (after a wonderful party of family and friends!). And I'm supposed to get up at 6 am tomorrow, in order to get to the airport - for my 2 long days of traveling (see this post for the entire itinerary). But I'm not complaining :)

Tomorrow we begin our orientation/training in Philly. As soon as we land in Namibia, we continue....and for the next 2 months, I will be training M-F - in language, safety & security, culture, etc. I'll be living with my first host family for about 5 weeks. After 1 month of training, we will find out where our permanent sites will be - as well as visiting that site, and shadowing a current volunteer. After the 2 months of training, I go to my permanent site, where I live with another host family for about 6 weeks. So, basically, the first 3 months of my experience in Namibia will be filled with lots of adjusting and learning. After that, I am hoping I will begin to find my own routine...and adjust to my new way of life....

I will update this as often as I can, but until I get over there, I really don't know what my communication options will be. I know I'll have a local phone number and probably a smart phone of some sort. As for the internet, I really don't know how often I'll have access.....

Sooooo.....here goes something! I'll check in as soon as I can, and will start sharing my photos, videos, and stories!!!

Peace & Love,
me


You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

9 comments:

  1. Loren Ferrara PowellMarch 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

    Best of luck to you! What an amazing adventure and journey you are about to begin! I can't wait to hear/read all of your stories and experiences! A true once in a lifetime opportunity. I know you will savor every single minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loren, for reading!!! It's been....well....wow....I've been trying to figure out my next post, and how to put it all into words.....Definitely a life-changer.....

      Delete
  2. Did u ever consider to travel to Paraguay, South America? Think about, u'll be welcome there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings and safe travels. You are in our prayers and lifted up. Just take it one day at a time and enjoy :)
    Beth Breeden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! This sure is an experience.....and, btw, I miss you! Hope all is going well!

      Delete
  4. Were counting on you to use that Looxie to chronicle your time there. Good luck and Godspeed!
    Art

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soooo excited for you.

    Relax, go tranquil and continue to enjoy the experience.....only a very few make the decision to accept this challenge....be proud and take it all in with that wonderful smile you have

    Best, Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mike! Thank you....and yes, what a challenge it is.... :)

      Delete