Sunday, June 09, 2013

Success

The skin on the top of my hands has been rubbed off from washing my clothes by hand. My flip-flops keep coming apart and are more "flopping" than flipping. The skin on the palms of my hands are blistered from learning how to beat mahangu (a part of the process of making the grain into flour, and will be explained more in a later post). And the blisters tore while I was learning how to make the traditional oil, ondjove, from omahuku nuts.  

But the cattle, goats, chickens, dogs, and some random children in the village kept me company. My brother plays Namibian music on his radio everyday- which sounds more like "Island" music! Our brand new puppies make me feel like a kid again. My heart warms when my little 11-month old cousin, Jaden, smiles at me every morning. Every day I'm adjusting more to the "Owambo" way of living (that is , like northern Namibians, especially in the villages). I am slowly able to communicate with the people of my village in their language.  New and exciting passions are developing for me, thru my observation at the clinic. I fall asleep, listening to my family sing songs, in perfect harmony, a capella, in  Oshikwanyama. I get to see diamonds in the sky every night. And right now, the radio in my Meme's house is playing Frank Sinatra. 

But most importantly, I'm learning, living, changing, and growing in to my true self....the Saricorn way....


I promise - updates are on their way - including pictures and video! If only the hut had a decent Internet connection - and 3G would be even better - but ahhh...such is this wonderful life  

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment