Sunday, June 16, 2013

A bag of plastic

I wanted to share with you a picture of the bags I'm crocheting! This idea was given to us by a current PCV. These are made from good ol' plastic bags from the grocery store! The bigger one is not quite done yet....

I'm planning on making other things, as well, such as cell phone holders, change purses, and more! My Meme and sister, here in Namibia, want me to make them a bag as well. 

So, if you have any extra plastic bags hanging around your house, and you want to recycle them, send some my way!

Or, go ahead and make your own! Here is how you can do it yourself:

1. Fold plastic bag vertically, until it's about an inch thick (this makes cutting much easier)
2. Cut the very bottom and handles off and toss aside
3. Continue cutting approximately 1-inch strips
4. Use these strips to link together as your "yarn" for your bag
5. Crochet away! 
6. Be creative with size, shape, color, etc. 
7. These can be great gift ideas, as well as fun things for school projects, and more. 
8. And smile- because you just helped the environment!

(The first bag was made as one big section that I folded over and sewed up the sides to creat the bag. The second was started with one long strip, and then circling around it to create a bag. The handles will be thicker than the first, and added on at the end.)

No comments:

Post a Comment