Sunday, August 25, 2013

Tears of gratitude

I know this is the biggest tease ever, but I had to share something quickly with everyone....

I am about to go to sleep in a tent at the home of our cleaning lady's parents. Her name is Olivia. She is getting married tomorrow. And I'm her photographer!

The party started tonight...and will end Monday night. I will write more about  the entire celebration later, including pictures...

But...

Tonight I had the honor of being part of a traditional ritual, where the bride and her bridesmaids (she has 14!) sit in a hut, and are greeted by guests. Only 3 guests came. But this was expected (I think!). And when the guests arrived, they greeted each of us separately, but we were supposed to be rude, and not shake their hand or respond. Apparently, they have to "earn" our greeting. We all had a very hard time keeping a straight face, and pretending to ignore or be rude to these people. We all were aware this was a ritual, but still, we had to do it. It was pretty funny. Eventually, we could respond to the guests' greeting...but not shake their hand yet. (Thankfully I was sitting next to my supervisor's daughter, who speaks English, and was able to talk me through this entire ritual). 

So.... The point of this is...these "guests" are supposed to bring gifts. They brought in a big suitcase. After some time, still trying to "win" the bride's greeting, and ours as well (which was pretty funny to watch!), they opened the suitcase and in it was the flower girls' dresses, the bride's dress, veil, gloves, jewelry, the rings, 2 white umbrellas, edged with the color of the bridesmaids' dressed - maroon, and the bride's shoes. 

The bride finally "accepted" the guests, and we then went outside where a group of men had been singing all night - waiting to see the bride. There were many people, and they were singing and dancing and having a grand ol' time!

Besides wanting to share this story, I also had to share with you the overwhelming feeling of gratitude I had, while sitting in that hut. I looked around the room, and saw Olivia's bridesmaids of all ages. Some dressed in "westernized or modern" clothing, and some in traditional dresses. And I had this out-of-body experience of some sort...I just couldn't believe I was sitting in a traditional hut, surrounded by beautiful Namibian women in traditional dress, in a village, in Namibia, in AFRICA, and was able to be a part of this ritual! I mean, this is a common occurrence here in Namibia, and in the villages. And yet, 6 months ago, I had no clue this was even going on! And all of you- in the U.S. or any other country- you have no idea about what is going on here. Just like these Namibians have no clue what you are all doing. It's just an odd thing to think about - or maybe I'm just weird. But we are all in our own little worlds, doing our own little thing, meanwhile, another person, maybe the same age as you, on the other side of the globe, could be doing exactly the same thing as you! Or maybe not. I don't know...maybe I am weird. But tonight I realized that I am able to get a little peek of what another person in another country is doing. And then I start thinking about what, maybe someone in China, or France, or Chile, or Iraq is doing at this moment...

So anyway, there is my brain for ya'll! 

Oh, by the way...since I am her photographer, Olivia bought me a bridesmaid's dress!  So I guess I'm considered to be part of her wedding party! Wow. 

And as I was pinching myself, a little confused how I ended up here in Africa - who would have thought?? - and just so grateful that I am getting this experience, and out of nowhere, my eyes started filling up with tears...

I just couldn't believe that I was getting this opportunity- AND to be asked to be included and participate!

Oh, and Olivia's dress? I have never seen anything quite as beautiful! I will post pictures later, but it is a white gown of satin and lace and even some sparkles! She is going to look amazing....

And I just hope my camera cooperates and helps me get the most perfect pictures for her big day!

Peace & Weddings,
Johanna


p.s. many women here have decided that I should marry a Namibian, specifically, an Owambo man....

:)



1 comment:

  1. I went to a Bridal Shower here in Oranjemund where I and the other married ladies chased the bride with a broom, asking (shouting) are you afraid? Then the whistle and dancing through the streets, and the lililili! One of my young friends is getting married this weekend, too, but I wasn't able to go to the wedding. Throw some extra mahangu for me and enjoy the party.

    ReplyDelete