Friday, August 23, 2013

Life is funny....


So, there I was, in Nashville, USA
All stressed and worried over things that no longer matter
I had priorities which kept me, now looking back, away from people I truly cared about - and who truly cared for me
Or, I should say, my priorities were a little warped
Because I thought certain things needed to be a priority
I was in a rut
A comfortable rut

And now, here I am in Namibia, AFRICA!
And man, let me tell you
If you ever need a wake-up call from LIFE
Or need your head re-adjusted
Or need a new view of people and the world (one of my MAIN reasons for joining PC)
And need to get UNcomfortable for a while

Because then
Only then
Will you find what you are truly made of
And what truly makes you tick
And you become stronger because of it
And you realize that the things in this life that make you happy
Are really never those things you THOUGHT were "making you happy"

And only then
Can you get yourself back on track
And find the real YOU
Even if you now have another home on the other side of the globe
It has helped to bring out YOU
The best in you
The worst in you
But the TRUE YOU!

And of course
I'm still learning
And growing

So, ask me in 21 months if this still remains true

But for now,
Even through the frustrating, stressful times
The times I have no clue what the heck is going on around me
Or how I can even help
Or just want a shower
In a house with white walls and clean floors
And a sink with running water
And I miss my car
And I'm losing my independence I have worked so hard to create and manage
And never liked relying on anyone else
(Now, I see that probably was a mistake on my part -
in past friendships and relationships)
I'm loving this personal journey that I'm on!

Peace & Love,
Johanna
<3



(By the way, PINK - especially BRIGHT pink - is the traditional Owambo color - and it's kind of funny - I'm finding myself buying new flip-flops, hut shoes, and other clothing that have this color in it...and all these years I stayed away from it...even though, this was one of my favorite colors growing up...just ask my mom - my room was made of pinks and purples...Funny how, years later, I'm returning to the original Johanna!)

You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment