Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Food Challenge!

Ok – I know I keep saying I'm going to write about food on here – because it is such a major part of Namibians' culture.....and I promise, I will! I want to get a few more pictures to post. It's been tough – for instance, at the wedding this weekend – I really wanted to take lots of pictures when they were preparing and cooking their food – but I did not want them to feel like they were on display, like I was a tourist....But I will get continue to get a picture here and there....

Until then....

I want to challenge all of you to get outside your comfort zone, when it comes to food!

Here in the village, we cook outside over an open fire, as well as on a gas stove. The oven will work, but it uses a lot of gas, and so we rarely use it. And even for those who have some electricity, they do not own microwaves, or even refrigerators or freezers (though some may have a small refrigerator).

Ok – here is the challenge:

For 1 WEEK, you are not allowed to use your refrigerator and freezer. If you want/need to keep something cool, you can buy ice, and place these things in a bucket of some sort (NOT a cooler, because most of those here in the village do not have a cooler). But once in a while, they do have access to buy ice – and they have lots of buckets! Anything you want to use for the week, that you currently have in the refrigerator and/or freezer, you MUST REMOVE at the beginning of the week. Then, you are not allowed to open those doors until the week is over.... :)

Here are some other rules:
  • You are allowed to cook using the stovetop, outdoor fire (NOT grill!), and 1 meal in the oven (seeing as how they rarely use it, since it costs a lot of money).
  • Generally, we only go to our shopping town 1x/week or every other week. But – I will allow you to go to the supermarket 1 TIME at the beginning of the week, and a SECOND time at some point – if you need to pick up items you forgot, or would like to cook meat that day/evening – so make a good shopping list, or you will only be eating whatever is in your cupboards :)
  • Here are some tips on foods that keep well (at least, from what I'm learning):
  1. fruits seem to stay well for about a week - sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on the fruit
  2. eggs will stay well for almost 2 weeks, as long as you don't buy them cold (already in the cooler)
  3. milk will last a few days, again, as long as when you buy it, it is from the shelf, and not the cooler
  4. they say veggies will last longer if you bury them in the ground, where they will stay cooler – I haven't yet done this, but feel free to dig a hole in your backyard if you'd like to try! (and then, report back to me on your findings!)
  5. Most veggies will last up to a week. I am still trying to figure out if leaving them out in the open is better than putting them in my metal green trunk the PC gave us. I am purposely doing this now, because I think I had a mouse in my hut at one point. Though, I may also try to buy some plastic shelves to place the veggies in. Again, let me know what works for you – any advice would be great!
  6. Sometimes, canned veggies are the easiest....(though not my top choice)
  7. As for drinks (juice, soda, beer, etc) – again, you can buy ice to keep them cool, if you would like
  8. bread will last about a week and half – though, sometimes mold likes to a grow within 4 or 5 days
  9. I have been able to get yogurt, and it last for 2-3 days
  10. On a side note about meat – my family will often buy red meat, and then dry it – this will allow them to use it later in the week, or even a few weeks later. If you would like to try this, here is how you do it: (this is how my family does it, but feel free to Google other methods)
  • Cut the red meat into thin strips
  • Add vinegar and salt
  • Hang on some sort of rope/line in a room (we have a hut where we do this), ideally, where the air is warm, dry and low humidity
  • When you are ready to eat it, just stick it in a pot and cook!
    11. It's really a crap-shoot, what will last through the whole week (or 2, in my case). Sometimes, I               have to accept that the money I just spent went to waste, because the food did not keep well....
    12. Last point about cooking – most of those who live in the village DO NOT have a blender, juicer,           toaster, or any other appliance. So, I think it would only be right to not allow you to use these.               Knives, forks and spoons are all allowed!


So – I will check back with all of you in a week or so! And I would LOVE LOVE LOVE your feedback!!! First of all, any help I can get in this department – as far as how to prepare and cook food – would be great (though I'm beginning to get the hang of it)! Also, I want you all to get a glimpse of how many people, at least here in the villages, live on a daily basis. It's do-able. We're just not used to doing it their way...because we have become so reliant on electricity and appliances. And you all have the luxury of living in your air-conditioned houses with any appliance you would like...so, enjoy these luxuries, while you live without the use of a refrigerator and freezer.

I hope you find this challenge educational - and maybe even fun! If you can't go to Africa (or a developing country), this is a great way, to at the very least, learn a little something about how other people in the world live....
Plus, you'll be ready when your electricity or refrigerator goes out!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me, 
or contact me here:

foxyform.com


Happy eating!!

Ombili,
(Peace & Love),
Johanna 


You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

1 comment:

  1. I love my toast, I toast it in a frying pan over the fire. Kuku (my mother-in-law) sets the bread out to dry, which keeps longer. Have you tried the rusks? They're usually by the cookies, a kind of dry biscuit that my mom and kids like with tea. Carrots and cabbage should keep very well, does your area have any traditional dried vegetable? Worth tasting.

    ReplyDelete