Sunday, July 28, 2013

What has Johanna been up to.....

I got an email from a friend the other day - yelling at me for not updating the blog (just kidding, she wasn't yelling - just wondering!), and letting her know what I have been up to….

So here it is….

Work:
I am now spending more time at the school - and will soon, hopefully, get to the other 6 local schools (oh, and the trek on foot will be far!). I am assisting with Grade 9& 10 Life Skills classes, as well as the AIDS Awareness Club. This will be my main project (hopefully). There will be a few other secondary projects - plant a garden for the clinic, educate on nutrition and health (through a program the PC has provided us with) to the HIV/AIDS patients, expecting mothers, as well as mothers with very malnourished children. And there are soooo many other little and big projects that can be done, associated with all of these things - I'm just taking 1 thing at a time right now….So I've been researching HIV/AIDS, AIDS Awareness Clubs, and everything related to HIV in Namibia. I am also hoping to start using the World Wise School Program with a few teachers back in the US. I have a few ideas, that include the PE program at the school, along with after-school sport activities - as well as general education/information that can be exchanged between my learners here in Namibia, and those in the U.S. If you are a teacher, and interested, please contact me on the Contact tab! For more information on World Wise Schools, and what it's all about, click HERE.

There is soooo much I can do here - but I'm learning to take one task at a time….this run at a much slower pace here in Namibia, and maybe it's for the best - for me at least! haha!
Also, I'm heading to a week-long training next week, with my counterpart. Here, we will set up and design my main project! I'm excited to see all of my American Volunteer friends, and enjoy life outside of the village for a short bit….

Village Life:
I am in the process of learning how to make traditional beer! It's actually not alcoholic - unless I let it sit for a few days - but my family doesn't really drink, and so we're making it nonalcoholic. I'll be cooking it tonight - and we'll drink it tomorrow! Pictures to come soon….
Also, I've been learning more about how to turn the mahangu grain into flour - by pounding it. It's pretty hard to do! I have a video of my attempt at learning this skill - and hopefully, I can upload this video….

Communication:
I have been trying to find a good offline blog program (If anyone knows of any good ones, please let me know! And free, if possible!), as well as breaking down and getting internet capability in my hut - though we will see how well it works, since the network is not that great here….

Travel:
After my week-long training, a few of us will be celebrating a fellow PCV's birthday - in Swakopmund - on the beach!!! I'm excited for this, and hoping to get some great pictures, and of course, vacation time….

Blog:
I am slowly uploading pictures and videos of other fun things I've been doing since arriving in Namibia. The internet is very slow (I tried to upload a 3.5 minute video to YouTube, and it said it would take 2387 minutes to upload!)….so patience is something I am definitely learning…..but now that I"m "connected" more, I will be posting more updates!
Other than that, things are wonderful. I have my moments of frustration - this is definitely the biggest personal challenge I have ever experienced - and highly recommend it for everyone! It is testing my limits and boundaries, and also helping me to create new and improved boundaries and self-confidence, as well as teaching me about myself, people, the world, and more…..

If you have any specific questions (and no question is a dumb question - believe me, I've probably asked myself the same questions, and have already had a few friends as "strange" questions - but the only way to learn, is to ask, right??) please, contact me - either through a comment, here on the blog, private email (for those with my email address), or the Contact form. I will answer your questions, and more…and even post my responses here on the blog, or all to learn…. :)

Also, I just went to the post office yesterday, and picked up TWO packages, plus a letter from a friend! I love receiving things from my friends and family in America - it really means a lot - even if it's just a letter! If you do want to send a package with some fun things and/or pictures of you so I can hang on my hut wall, check out my Contact tab for more info - address, a few specific items I am missing from home and more….

Love and miss everyone, but am so happy where my life has taken me….All of those "wrong" turns were, apparently, the CORRECT roads for me to take!!!

Peace & Love,
Johanna



2 comments:

  1. I want all the details of the beer, pics, recipes processes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art - we just finished the last step tonight! And tomorrow, we will enjoy.... :) I will definitely post pictures, and explanations, of the process....I KNOW you're curious!! How's the brewing going in your neck of the woods?

      Delete