Monday, May 20, 2013

Some things I'm learning...

Here is the beginning of the list of some things I am learning (after only 2 months of living here):

- Material things are things

- Skirts, skirts, and more skirts!!

- My feet are sandy. Not dirty.

- Sunscreen is important - especially if you're white, living under the African sun.

- Bucket bathing is very therapeutic - especially at night, under the bright stars and moon.

- Air circulation is poor under a mosquito net.

- Huts are cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter- except that space between the roof and wall, where the cool morning breeze always finds its way in to wake me up every day.

- The roosters are my alarm clock.

- The dogs are my protectors.

- Guava is my new favorite fruit - especially when the tree is right outside the hut.

- Learn to laugh at yourself!

- Kids will be kids will be kids

- A fire is a nice centerpiece for entertainment in the U.S. Here in Namibia, it is necessary for cooking.

- Solar power is the favorite power source by those in developing countries. (Why doesn't the western world catch on??)

- There are 2,452 uses for a bucket.

- You can crochet plastic bags into purses, bags, wallets, cell phone holders, and so much more...

- The Namibian sky is like nothing else in the world - day AND night!

No comments:

Post a Comment