Sunday, December 23, 2012

Happy Holidays!!

I'm headed up north today to spend Christmas with my family! It looks as if I may even get a White Christmas this year!! And seeing as how I probably won't see snow for the next few years (Africa is in the southern hemisphere, so Christmas is during the summer solstice. UNLESS I can get to Mt. Kilimanjaro!) I will be enjoying every minute of it....snow angels and all.....

I'm still waiting on my birth certificate to come in the mail, so I can get my passport and visa applications out to the PC. Ah, patience is a virtue, isn't it? And I am sure learning it!

I have soooo much going on in my head right now - what to pack, what not to pack, what I need to take care of before leaving the states, etc. Thank God for plane rides and layovers! I will be making lots of lists, so I can get all this stuff out of my head, and on paper....

Oooh - and I received an early Christmas gift from my sister!! She sent me a backpacking backpack. The thing has so many straps to it - I'm still trying to figure out how to work it, and of course, how I can fit everything in there - for my next 2 years! I now have my main piece of luggage, along with a sleeping bag, which my sister gave me about a year ago (I've heard I should bring the sleeping bag to use at night during the winters.....). Yes, I'm already starting to pack...hahahaha!



I've been in contact with a girl in Namibia right now. She is a PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer), and is currently teaching. Check out her blog here: naMobia. She has given me lots of info already - though I'm trying not to bombard her with all of my questions. lol I'm aware that the answers to my many questions really depend on exactly where my site will be. I may be in the north, may be in the south, may be living in a mud hut, or may have a western-style house with running water and electricity. But I'm open to it all. I'm actually kind of hoping for the mud hut. I mean, if I'm going to do this, let's do it right! :) So I have calmed myself down, and am just ready for any situation. I know that I really won't know what options I will have for communication (phone, internet) until I actually get there. And you know what? It's ok with me. I plan on contacting my parents as often as I can - so they know I'm still alive - and as soon as I am able, I will post on here as well! I'm sure it will take me a few weeks to get settled....

So, I finally read the 97 pages of the Namibia Welcome Book (I put this link on my My Assignment tab). There is LOTS of info in it....and some I skimmed through, and am sure will be returning to at some point when I have more questions....
Here is what I've learned so far about the beginning of my journey:

March 11, 2013 - I will be flying to my staging city (either DC, NY, Philly, etc.). They will be giving me the info to book my flight to this city a few weeks ahead of time. Then I, along with the other volunteers (I'm thinking, about 30-40 total) will have a 1 day orientation/training/etc.

March 12, 2013 - fly to Namibia!!!! I believe we'll be flying into the capital, Windhoek (pronounced with a "V" - Namibia was once German territory).

The next 8 WEEKS will be extensive training - language, safety, culture, and of course, my job. I think I may even shadow a current volunteer for about a week! A side note on the language - they speak English, as well as some German, Afrikaans, (both official languages) and many more. BUT I found another blog of a PCV who is in Namibia right now, and he is learning a click language!!!! I'm very excited about the possibility of learning this! I've found 2 videos, showing this language....try it for yourself!





Now, during the first few days of this training period, we will all be staying in a dorm-style building. After this, the next 5 WEEKS will be spent with a host family. Each volunteer will be living with a Namibian family! This will help us learn the culture and language even more....Then, the last 2 weeks we will all be reunited, leading up to the swearing-in ceremony!

After training, we each go to our own site, where we will be living and working for 2 years. I may be the only PCV in the community, or I may have others with me. If this is the case, I still may be the only Health Volunteer. I've learned that the volunteers keep in close touch with each other (cell phone usage is pretty widespread), and even visit each other! (Side note again: One volunteer visited another fellow volunteer at her community and job - she is working at the Cheetah Conservation Fund! I DEFINITELY plan on finding this, and am hoping one of my fellow PCVs will be working there, or someplace similar. I would love to see these animals up close!!).

During the first 6 weeks at my site, I will be, again, living with a host family. This will help in my adjustment and assimilation into the community. Then I'll have a mom and dad, and hopefully brothers and sisters, I can always turn to for questions, concerns, and of course, a Namibian home-cooked meal! After these weeks, then I move to my own place. Again, it could be a nurses dorm (attached to a clinic or school), a separate house, a mud hut, or anything in between. I'm learning that you just have to go with the flow during this whole Peace Corps experience....which is totally fine with me!


So, for the next few days, I will be enjoying my time with my family. I will see most of them again before I leave in March, and they are planning on visiting me in Namibia (by the way, you are all welcome to visit me in Africa!! I would LOVE to share with you - in real life - my experience!). My aunt has a friend who is actually a PCV in Nicaragua right now, and she, along with my other aunt, just got back from visiting Carol. I can't wait to hear their stories!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season....time with family and friends is important, and so precious. I am trying not to think about the fact that I will be leaving Nashville in 2 months, and eventually, my family in March. I hate goodbyes. Actually, I like to look at it as "see-you-laters", instead. So, for now, I just don't think about it....and how I'll have to leave everything I have come to know...and this American way of life....(and, truly, I'm really excited to learn a different way of living!).

Just the other day, I thought "Oh my gosh, what the hell am I doing?". But honestly, I don't know what else I WOULD do.....So yes, this is scary, but exciting and thrilling all at the same time! I wouldn't even think of backing out now....this is supposed to be my next chapter in this crazy life...


Have a happy and safe holiday!!! Stay warm, or cool, where ever you are in the world.....

Peace & Love,
~Johanna


You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment